Wednesday, August 30, 2006

~ Counting-Down With Baking ~
Tonight, while everyone probably counting-down somewhere with their love ones...
I'm counting-down at home with my parents baking "tapioca kueh".
Was supposed to bake it tomorrow,
but was very excited and wanted to get it done by tonight.
And if its good, I'm gonna do another one tomorrow as the raw tapioca are still available.
To those of you who don't bake or cook, this is kinda simple...
Preparation for this "kueh" was the easiest I come across.

What got me into this "kueh" mood was when I visit Malacca recently.
And I was going around looking for Nyonya Kueh but I didn't find any.
So, still craving for the original Nyonya Kueh around...
Suddenly, one weekend,
when I spend some quality time with my retired aunty and her cookbooks.
And I came across her Penang Nyonya Cookbook.
I borrowed it after flipping thru,
and found the many Nyonya Kueh that I have long to make it myself...

Several things I discovered when I was preparing for the ingredients:-

- Indian religous don't allow them to cut banana leaf after 9pm.

-3 kgs of unpeeled & ungrated tapioca may turn out to be only 800g of peeled & grated tapioca.

-There is difference between coconut milk and coconut cream in the supermarket.

- Brown sugar is less sweetening compare to white sugar.

- Microwave conventional oven is not as good and aromatic as tradisional classic oven.


And "ta-da"... I present my masterpiece...

Thought I share with you the recipe...
650g. tapioca, peeled & grated
200ml. thick coconut milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
1 tablespoon butter
6 tablespoon sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 banana leaf for lining tray
1 tablespoon extra butter for brushing tray

Step 1: Grease a square tray with butter & line with banana leaf.
Step 2: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl & blend together & pour into tray.
Step 3: Bake in a preheated oven at 180'C for 30-40 minutes until cake is set.
Step 4: Turn up heat to grill kueh at 250'C for 5-10 mins/until the crust is browned.
Step 5: Remove from oven & leave to cool for at least 6 hrs before cutting-squares.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it seems very tasteful. May i eat some tapioca kueh you have cooked ? i can go round to visit u tomorrow evening after ur work and eat it with u. I hope u will like to share it with me :)

Faith said...

Most certainly welcome! :D
I was thinking of DHL/courier to your home while its still warm..

Anonymous said...

Yucks!! It taste like cake :D I was just kidding, it taste good but lack of tapioca taste. And it's soft instead of sticky.. but haha.. first time baking mah.. wat to expect..

Jaime said...

When will I have my chance to taste the cake you bake? ;-P

Anonymous said...

Hehehe... soon soon...
What is your favourite "kueh", I'll try to do it for you.

This Tapioca Kueh is not my favourite, I only had 2 pieces out of the whole thing ;P