Saturday, August 01, 2009

Salsa Workshop @ Havana Estudio

I enjoyed myself very much at the Wednesday Salsa Social Nite at A li yaa where dance-partner first introduced me to the salsa environment. So today, dance partner brought me to attend a salsa workshop at his dance class; Havana Estudio.

To be frank, I was very nervous and paranoid as I'm not sure what am I to expect in this kind of workshop and social-gatherings. Sam; the instructor doesn't seems to realize the existence of me; that has no dancing experience whatsoever before. But, what can you expect when you just pay RM10 that comes with pizza & soft-drinks. The price came with learning a few basic steps for salsa and merengue.

Drew a circle in the picture to identify myself in the dance floor. This kick-start the salsa workshop whereby the basic steps are taught. The instructor in black & her dance-partner in white-top & yellow-skirt; Jen.

My head is always turning towards the instructor as I'm still figuring out the steps & making sure I did it correctly and I think I still couldn't differentiate the music tempo if my dance-partner don't count and lead me *chuckled*.

Merengue; a much slower & easier dance step compare to salsa. Personally, I prefer this one more due to the less complication and less spinning-speed. But, dance-partner felt this very boring as it's just plain-marching-alike kind of dance. He probably will doze-off while standing (or rather dancing)!!

After the brief introduction to the basic steps of salsa & merengue; the social night started with dimmer lights and bigger crowd. I can feel the heat coming with the packed-like-sardine dance room and this is the time where you start seeing lots of good dancers enjoying themselves. Meanwhile, we had a few rounds of salsa and trying to get myself into it from what I had learned. In this picture, dance-partner trying to learn the new technique he saw in UTube and somehow, one part got us tangled & we were figuring out how to untangled correctly with grace!

*Phew* I felt sweaty and that my bra is slipping lower underneath my dress. So, I had to excuse myself to the toilet to get that adjusted but I think after that, I was a little worry that it doesn't work that much as it continues to slip with the spinning-steps I constantly do *shy*. On & off, I had to keep pulling it up in public which I feel kind of embarrassed. I had to make sure the next time I attend another social night for salsa, I have to wear well-supported bra-stripped & a dress that don't show my bare-shoulder.

Other than having an impatience dance-partner who shows me black-face when I can't get one of the harder steps learned, I enjoyed myself for the night. Despite that I got kicked several times by the men behind me - that hurts at my heel & the skin-above my heel! Just hope I don't get the blues & bruises tomorrow.

No comments: